Re: Who and where is using octave?

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Who and where is using octave?
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 15:28:05 -0500

We use it for 2-3 different research projects in the LIMBS lab at Johns Hopkins. These are all on Linux machines. 1) Image capture, image processing, and control of a 6DOF robot arm for experiments in visual servoing 2) Image capture and controlling stimulus apparatus for experiments on sensorimotor integration in weakly electric fish 3) (In the works) Image capture and control algorithms for flexible- bevel tipped needle steering for percutaneous therapies

In general, people here use Matlab for simulations and most research work, because (1) they feel the plotting utilities are better (the recent work by a lot of people is quickly making that a non-issue), (2) they often use arcane functions in toolboxes not provided by Octave or OctaveForge, and (3) that is what they learned with and they are sticking to it.

However, when I was at Ball Aerospace, they never had enough Matlab licenses available and rather than wait around, I often used Octave when I couldn't get a license. I even convinced the controls engineer I was working with who (for many of the reasons listed above) *only* used Matlab to at least make their code compatible with Octave so I didn't have to make a bunch of mods every time I was using Octave.

John Swensen