Re: Octave parallel computing toolbox

From: Ganesh Bikshandi
Subject: Re: Octave parallel computing toolbox
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 00:10:30 +0530

The current library (which is under active development) is released
under Eclipse public license. But, I am not sure about the Octave or
Matlab port. That is part of a incubation program in the company I am
working for (IBM).  When the project materializes, I can give a clear
picture about this. Now, the project is only in the pre-selection
phase. A good justification is required for the project to be
selected. I thought that since Octave does not seem to have good
parallel programming interface (like Matlab), that is a sound
justification to push my proposal.  (Correct me, if Octave already has
a deluge of Parallel programming tools like Matlab).

We want this stuff to run in IBM hardware (like Bluegene) and we don't
want to be bogged down by any source code or licensing issues. Plus we
want to run in SPMD mode (atleast in the initial phases of
development). That means we want N Octave instances running, where N
is the number of compute nodes. Using Octave we overcome all the
licensing, source code and portability limitations. (IMHO).