Re: Starting Octave Windows XP

From: Michael J. McCann
Subject: Re: Starting Octave Windows XP
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 12:12:12 +0000

Michael,
Well, thank you. That works fine. I had no idea where the problem was. I'll see if I can find the instructions about " ' ' " \\ etc. because I didn't see (or perceive) the guidance when I read through the stuff about addpath. Thank you for the clarification about functions and commands.
Cheers,
Mike.

At 08:36 2008-02-08, you wrote:
On Fri, Feb 8, 2008 at 6:37 AM, Michael J. McCann <address@hidden> wrote:
> Michael,
>         Thank you for the quick response. Your reply makes good
> sense, but I can't make 'addpath' or any change directory command do
> anything with paths that contain spaces and that's where all my stuff is:
>         C:\Documents and Settings\mjmccann\My
> Documents\  etc.  Personally I don't define file names with spaces
> but Windows XP does.
>         I see you use ( ) round the path-name, but I thought it was
> a command, not a function call.  Is that my mistake?

A command is simply a function that can be called more conveniently
as a command, but it's still a function. So for instance, typing

addpath C:\MyDir

or

addpath('C:\MyDir')

are equivalent. If your path contains spaces, just surround the path
with single quotes (if you use double quote, you have to double the
backslash; see octave documentation about single and double quote
difference):

addpath 'C:\Documents and Settings\mjmccann\My Documents\whatever'

or

addpath('C:\Documents and Settings\mjmccann\My Documents\whatever')

Michael.