Re: Saving write protected files

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Saving write protected files
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 10:02:13 -0500

On 13/04/2008, asha g <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am writing code in Octave using Emacs editor as I
>  normally do. However, when I am trying to save it - it
>  does not as it says the file is write protected.

That is odd... are you trying to modify system files? Or are you
trying to save to a place to which you don't have write access?

Unless your setup is really weird, you should have write access to
your home directory (e.g. /home/asha). If you are working with
Octave's files and you want to modify them, you can save a copy of
them to your home directory. In Emacs, C-x C-w will let you save a
file to a different location.

If you want to directly modify Octave's system files, you're going to
need collaboration from your system administrator.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.