Re: memory exhausted error.

From: GARY FORBIS
Subject: Re: memory exhausted error.
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 06:11:03 -0700

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 12:13 AM

GARY FORBIS wrote:
> I've just started using Octave and am having trouble running MNIST from
> http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~hinton/MatlabForSciencePaper.html
> <http://www.cs.toronto.edu/%7Ehinton/MatlabForSciencePaper.html>
> Aside from the save and load syntax differences I'm getting

>  error: memory exhausted or requested size too large for range of
>  Octave's index type -- execution of mnistdeepauto.m failed
> while executing this:

> load digit9; digitdata = [digitdata; D]; targets = [targets; repmat([0
> 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1], size(D,1), 1)];
> I've been told there are some register settings I could change to fix
> this.

> I'm using GNU Octave, version 3.0.0

> Any help?

> Thanks.

If this is the same bug report from the newsgroup comp.soft-sys.octave
then you need to point out that you are using the MSVC build under
Windows. I believe this is a known issue but don't remember the details,
so if some Windows user knows the registry magic needed to avoid this
issue send it here :-)

D.

--
David Bateman                                address@hidden
Motorola Labs - Paris                        +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary
Yes, I was directed here from comp.soft-sys.octave.

I'm not sure this is a bug.  While it might be a memory model problem it might be a physical
memory limitation.  The error isn't clear to me.

Is the version from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2888&package_id=40078
the MSVC version?  It says "Octave Forge Windows".  Type is: .exe (32-bit Windows).

I guess I could start poking around it the source code but that seems like a daunting task for
someone just learning the application.

Thanks again.