Re: contourf and linewidth

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: contourf and linewidth
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 19:47:53 +0200

JJonasson wrote:

> Marco Caliari wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> Is it possible to specify the line width of the contour levels in
>> contourf? The following
>>
>> contourf(peaks,'LineWidth',2)
>>
>> does not work in Octave 3.0.0, i.e., no error but no thicker lines.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>

> Try it with contour also.. No errors, but no lines :-)
>
> The issue is that the contours are in fact patch objects and not lines
> so that something like "colormap cool" will change their color. In
> contourf the patches FaceColor is "flat" and in contour it is "none".
> Neither __go_draw_axes__.m nor __contour__.m respected the linewidth
> variable. And worse, the __contourc__ function choked on the linewidth
> variable generating no lines with the contour function. See the attached
> patch that should fix this issue.
>
> D.
>

> Hi
>
> I also have a problem with the linewidth for contour, so I was happy to see
> that someone had a solution to the problem. But what am I supposed to do
> with this patch? How can I get it to work?
>
> /jonas

It appears that this patch was only applied to the 3.1 tree, though
perhaps it should also be applied to the 3.0.x tree, even though
arguably its a new feature, and 3.0.x should only have bug fixes. In any
case to get the changeset to work for you what I'd suggest you do is the
 following

octave
which contour
quit

Note the directory where the contour function is found. It's be
something like

<prefix>/3.0.1/m/plot/contour.m

Now save the changeset somewhere like /tmp/changeset, then do

cd <prefix>/3.0.1/m
cat /tmp/changeset | patch -p2

There will be an error as the ChangeLog file won't be found, but that
can be safely ignored. After that the patch will be applied and you'll
be able to set the linewidth with contours. However, the above might
need to be done as root.

D.