Re: Problem linking libraries

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Problem linking libraries
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:48:34 -0400

On 11-Sep-2008, Bergeron, William wrote:

| I am making some progress (see below configure summary). The main
| thing I discovered is that the header files need to be in the proper
| subdirectories under the <prefix>/include folder, /amd, /camd,
| suitesparse, etc, for them to be recognized during configure.

I'm not sure why that is needed.  For example, Octave's configure.in
file contains the line

  AC_CHECK_HEADERS([suitesparse/amd.h ufsparse/amd.h amd/amd.h amd.h], [

so it seems that it should be OK to have amd.h installed directly in
/usr/include (or /foo/include if you have added -I/foo/include to
CPPFLAGS).  We have similar checks for umfpack.h, colamd.h, ccolamd.h,
cholmod.h, and cs.h.

| I also moved all the files into /share/apps which seems to be the
| default for configure.  This may not have been necessary and I
| thought I had removed all references to it but it seems to be going
| much smoother with this setup.

No, that shouldn't be necessary.  Configure itself doesn't look for
things like header files and libraries.  It simply runs the compiler
or linker and sees whether it succeeds.  So the files can go anywhere,
as long as your compiler can find them, possibly with the addition of
some -I or -L options to CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS.

| I still can not get it to recognize BLAS/LAPACK and I am not sure why

You need to look in the config.log file in order to get some clues
about why it is failing.  What does that file say about what happens
when it tries to find the libraries that you are specifying with the
--with-blas and --with-lapack options?

jwe