Re: Scilab is now GPL v2 compatible - as the site claims

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Scilab is now GPL v2 compatible - as the site claims
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 18:57:06 +0200

Søren Hauberg wrote:
ons, 17 09 2008 kl. 23:34 -0700, skrev Sergei Steshenko:
I've just learned that Scilab ( http://www.scilab.org/ ) is now GPL v2
compatible - this is what the site says.

Just to clarify: The CeCILL license is explicitly compatible with the
GPL, which is defined as
"GNU GPL: means the GNU General Public License version 2 or any
subsequent version, as published by the Free Software Foundation Inc.",

so actually Scilab is GPL v2 (or later) compatible. Since Octave is GPL
v3 (or later) I guess this means that we can take their code, but they
can't take ours?

Well Octave changed to GPLv3 relatively recently, so scilab can take whatever is in a snapshot prior to that. Any code with my name on it, I'd be more that happy to see it reused in scilab under the terms of the GPLv2.

D.