Re: help in modifying __qp__.cc

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: help in modifying __qp__.cc
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 16:07:19 -0500

On  6-Nov-2008, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

| In practical terms, if one builds from sources and does _not_ redistribute
| the binary, the license doesn't matter - GPL explicitly allows this, as
| clearly is stated in the GPL FAQ.

However, if you write an extension to Octave and distribute it under
terms that are not compatible with the GPL, and it can only be
used in combination with Octave, and you distribute these parts
separately and expect the user to link them together, then I think you
could still be found to be violating the terms of the GPL.  The GPLv3
states (section 5c, Conveying Modified Source Versions):

    c) You must license the entire work, as a whole, under this
    License to anyone who comes into possession of a copy.  THIS
    LICENSE WILL THEREFORE APPLY, ALONG WITH ANY APPLICABLE SECTION 7
    ADDITIONAL TERMS, TO THE WHOLE OF THE WORK, AND ALL ITS PARTS,
    REGARDLESS OF HOW THEY ARE PACKAGED.  This License gives no
    permission to license the work in any other way, but it does not
    invalidate such permission if you have separately received it.

(emphasis mine).  Note that it does not matter whether the parts are
distributed in source or binary form.  As I see it, the key question
is whether you are creating a derivative work.  If you are, then the
GPL applies.  You can't subvert the GPL simply by distributing the
parts separately.

jwe