RE: save and load bug.

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: RE: save and load bug.
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 03:29:57 -0800 (PST)

--- On Sun, 12/28/08, GARY FORBIS <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: GARY FORBIS <address@hidden>
> Subject: RE: save and load bug.
> To: "help-octave" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sunday, December 28, 2008, 12:26 AM
> I reloaded Octave again from
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2888&package_id=40078
> version 3.0.3.  Since Ben Abbott said the indicated program
> worked fine on his system I did a bit more testing.
>
> a=-0.03597396637549816b=[]for x=1:383b=[b,a]endsave stest
> bload stest  # this load works.b=[b,a]save stest bload stest
> # this load fails.The second load works find when I use the
> cygwin setup to install Octave but it's version
> 3.0.2.Either the problem is the installer for 3.0.3 or
> version  3.0.3 itself.
> Since the load function should be quite stable the issue is
> likely related to a called routine.
>
> Digging into the code is a bit over my head right now.
> I'll give it a try but I'm not looking forward to
> it.

Again, this slightly modified code (semicolons):

a=-0.03597396637549816
b=[]
for x=1:383
b=[b,a];
end
save stest b;
load stest;
b=[b,a];
save stest b;
load stest;

works:

octave:1> a=-0.03597396637549816
a = -0.035974
octave:2> b=[]
b = [](0x0)
octave:3> for x=1:383
> b=[b,a];
> end
octave:4> save stest b;
octave:5> load stest;
octave:6> b=[b,a];
octave:7> save stest b;
octave:8> load stest;
octave:9>

(on my Linux box).

Why don't you put semicolons ?

Without the semicolons 'octave' calls pager ('less' on Linux), maybe your
problem is related to lack of the needed pager.

Regards,
  Sergei.