Re: How to use Octave on a Mac?

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Re: How to use Octave on a Mac?
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:02:45 -0800

Please use 'reply all' so that the list gets a copy also.

Below is what happens on my computer when I 'open' my Octave application.
You could also double-click the application 'Octave' in your application
folder on your Mac.

Last login: Wed Jan 28 10:25:27 on console
Welcome to Darwin!

 [~] -bash-2.05b 501$ exec
'/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave'
GNU Octave, version 3.0.3
Copyright (C) 2008 John W. Eaton and others.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Octave was configured for "powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.1".
Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.
Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html
Report bugs to <address@hidden> (but first, please read
http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).
For information about changes from previous versions, type `news'.

octave-3.0.3:1>
Now above is the octave prompt and you can type in a command. For example:
octave-3.0.3:1> rand (3)
ans =

   0.331569   0.315370   0.618072
   0.461212   0.073723   0.172041
   0.370579   0.089940   0.293293

octave-3.0.3:2>
Now you have a new octave prompt which is ready for your your next command
or the name of a file without the .m extension.
Henry