Re: Maximum size for mesh() plot?

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Maximum size for mesh() plot?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 22:28:55 -0500

On Jan 29, 2009, at 7:12 PM, asfarley wrote:

Hi everyone, is there a maximum meshgrid size for the mesh() function? These
commands produce the expected output:

x = [0:0.1:5];
y = [0:0.1:10];
[xx,yy] = meshgrid(x,y);
z = sin(xx).*sin(yy);
mesh(x,y,z);

But these commands either give no results, or cause octave to hang:

x = [0:0.1:50];
y = [0:0.1:100];
[xx,yy] = meshgrid(x,y);
z = sin(xx).*sin(yy);
mesh(x,y,z);
--

I tried the 2nd example. A half hour later, gnuplot is still sucking my cpu, but still no result. Checking my Mac OSX activity monitor, gnuplot is using about 1GB of memory ... real (18*MB) and virtual (796 MB) memory.

GIven the amount of virtual memory, I don't expect a plot any time soon :-(

Perhaps the problem is with gnuplot, and not with Octave.

... opps, it just finished. Figure attached.

I recommend you try something that doesn't oscillate as rapidly.

Ben

PNG image