Re: octave memory

From: Miroslaw Kwasniak
Subject: Re: octave memory
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 21:32:09 +0100

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 01:52:38PM -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 11-Feb-2009, jean francois sauvage wrote:
>
> | You are right, the inverse of a sparse matrix is generally not sparse.
> | My idea is to use Cholesky factorisation. But I want to know how much
> | space is needed by this factorisation. I can check this on Windows
> | Task Manager, but without separating the contributions of the
> | different process.
> |
> | but okay, it seems there is no built-in way to reach this information
> | from octave. maybe I can write an octave function interfaced with a
> | terminal command (like "top").
>
> I think the maxrss field of the structure returned by the getrusage
> function should give you what you want, but on my GNU/Linux system,
> that field is always 0.  So finding out why that happens and fixing
> the problem would probably be a better solution.

Current kernels have an entry /proc/*/status:

$ grep Vm /proc/`pidof octave-3.0.1`/status
VmPeak:   419416 kB <- max allocated
VmSize:   321288 kB
VmLck:         0 kB
VmHWM:    106716 kB <- max used (HWM = High Water Mark)
VmRSS:    105828 kB
VmData:   253276 kB
VmStk:       312 kB
VmExe:         4 kB
VmLib:     47508 kB
VmPTE:       288 kB

I assume VmHWM is a true max usage when not swapped.

Below the same process listed by top:

18177 mirek     39  19  399m 103m  24m S  1.6  6.8  32:49.40 octave-3.0.1

Mirek