Re: Figure Position

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Figure Position
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 17:08:50 -0400

On Thursday, August 13, 2009, at 03:55PM, "Kristen Richter" <address@hidden>
wrote:
>On Thursday, August 13, 2009, at 11:57AM, "Kristen Richter" <address@hidden>
>wrote:
>
>>I have upgraded from 3.2.0 to octave 3.2.2 and am running gnuplot-x11 4.5.4-6
>>in ubuntu.
>>
>>However, even after trying the example below, I'm having the same sort of
>>problem, where new figures appear just below my command window, to the side
>>of my command window, to the side and bottom of my command window, and then
>>tiled with my command window, no matter what numbers I put in the [left
>>bottom width height] matrix for 'Position'. (See example below)
>>
>>octave:2> figure(1,"position",[5,5,400,400])
>>octave:3> figure(2,"position",[5,5,400,400])
>>octave:4> figure(3,"position",[5,5,400,400])
>>octave:5> figure(4,"position",[5,5,400,400])
>>octave:6> get(figure(1),'Position')
>>ans =
>>
>>     5     5   400   400
>>
>>octave:7> get(figure(2),'Position')
>>ans =
>>
>>     5     5   400   400
>>
>>octave:8> get(figure(3),'Position')
>>ans =
>>
>>     5     5   400   400
>>
>>octave:9> get(figure(4),'Position')
>>ans =
>>
>>     5     5   400   400
>>

>>While querying 'Position' with the get command returns the input I gave, this
>>is obviously not occurring.
>>
>>Has anyone else come across this issue? Have I changed some global variable
>>in octave? Why would uninstalling and reinstalling octave not have restored
>>global defaults? What else could be overriding my 'Position' inputs?
>>
>>Any help on this issue would be appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Kristen
>
>----------
>Hi Kristen,
>
>What happens when you try the commands below?
>
>close all
>figure (1, "position", [5, 5, 400, 400])
>
>Also, "gnuplot-x11 4.5.4-6" doesn't look correct. I have a recent copy of the
>developers sources. The version for the developers sources is only 4.3.
>
>You can check the version number of your installed gnuplot from Octave by
>typing "__gnuplot_version__". Or by typing "gnuplot --version" at a shell
>prompt.
>
>Ben
>
>p.s. Please respond at below, so that those coming later can read along.
>----------
>Hi Ben,
>
>I rechecked my version of gnuplot... It is 4.2.4.. I just read it from the
>Synaptic Package Manager too fast and jumbled the numbers up.
>
>'close all' closes all the figures as expected.
>Typing in the second command brings up a landscape window at the very top of
>the screen.
>
>'figure(2,'Position',[5 5 400 400])' then brings up a second figure window
>placed just below the bottom of the first figure window, and then further
>figures auto-tile between these two spaces.

> [...]

Hi Kristen,

Version 4.2.4 of gnuplot does not allow octave to specifiy the x11 window
position. I took a quick look at the available Ubuntu packages. It appears that
4.2.5 is available for the karmic distribution.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/gnuplot

I'm a Mac OSX user, so I can't offer an informed opinion on whether or not
upgrading to karmic is a good idea for you or not.

Ben