Re: Install packages in Mac OS X

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Install packages in Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 15:02:40 -0400

On Wednesday, September 09, 2009, at 02:15PM, "Thomas Treichl" <address@hidden>
wrote:
>Vic Norton schrieb:
>> I don't have Snow Leopard yet, but you might try this. It works for me.
>>     1) Download "Octave.app for Mac OS X" from
>>           <http://octave.sourceforge.net/>.
>>     2) Drop the Octave application into your Applications folder.
>>     3) To be able to use the shebang line
>>           #!/usr/local/bin/octave
>>        in your scripts, do
>>           $ sudo ln -s \
>>             /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave \
>>             /usr/local/bin
>>        in Terminal.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Vic
>>
>> On Sep 8, 2009, at 8:28 PM, Xin Dong wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Has anyone successfully installed octave-forge packages with snow
>>> leopard and octave 3.2.2? I tried to install image-1.0.10.tar.gz, but
>>> failed.
>
>Hi Vic, hi Xin,
>
>I think the problem is a bit more complex. Apple has changed some more things
>from Leopard to Snow Leopard and with Snow Leopard everything that has to do
>with Octave's mkoctfile is broken now (ie. installing packages, the
>'mkoctfile'
>command itself, the command 'mex', and so on) - in detail: Snow Leopard's
>linker
>does not accept my 10.4 build libraries anymore and that's why linking against
>my binaries completely fails. I've already commented on a similar problem here
>
>   http://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/bug-octave/2009-September/009375.html
>
>Just because of my own interest - what is the current GCC version from Snow
>Leopard's XCode tools? Is there at least a gfortran available?
>
>Best regards
>
>   Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I've been running Snow Leopard since the morning it was released.

$ gcc --version
i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5646)

I don't think gfortran is included (it's not in /usr/bin).

The biggest annoyance has been that the old .la files no longer work (my Fink
packages are currently a mess). I deleted all .la files in the Fink directory
structure and rebuild the appropriate package when an .la file comes up missing.

I can *almost* build a functioning Octave. It compiles, but crashes during
"make check". If I run and then exit, I get a core dump. I wish I had time to
look into what is happening but I have very little spare time at present.

Ben