Re: Octave Out-of-Core Solution?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave Out-of-Core Solution?
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:11:14 +0100

Neal Martin wrote:
Can someone explain how Octave handles the situation in which a user
runs a large job that
exceeds the memory capacity of the system (for example, 1M X 1M FFT)?
In particular, if the system is configured with a large swap space, is it used? Is the implementation of the FFT done as an out-of-core solution? If so, does it fail under certain system configuration conditions and what are these conditions?
Octave relies on third-party libraries to do the heavy lifting and if these support out-of-core solution then Octave will. I had my own lapack dgetrf and dgetrs out-of-core functions a few years back when my problem would fit in the memory of my machine and I could probably dig them up and send them to you, if you can't find other lapack out-of-core implementation, and these might be used for an LU solver with Octave I suppose. However for FFTs Octave uses FFTW and I don't believe that FFTW has any out-of-core support

D.

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)