in-place operation semantics,

From: Naveen Garg
Subject: in-place operation semantics,
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 20:52:10 -0500

Does octave also allow this sort of thing ?
http://blogs.mathworks.com/loren/2007/03/22/in-place-operations-on-data/

fortran_vec() is nice, but it would be even nicer if it could be a global, exported function and it took a pointer to octave values, and such a pointer could be obtained.
I think lack of pass by reference and pointers is a serious handicap against scipy.

I am using the mingw port of octave, and am able to load dll's that can then call functions in .oct files compiled with mkoctfile.
I am having to rewrap functions such as set_global_value and get_global_value.
Couldn't liboctave behave more like python dlls and export more functions for the mingw version?
Maybe I am missing something, and they are already exported somewhere, but which files do they end up in ?