Re: Octave User Interface

From: David Grundberg
Subject: Re: Octave User Interface
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 17:57:53 +0100

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Brad Ochocki <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

I am a long-time user of MatLab, and am trying to switch to GNU Octave
because it is open source and, well, free.  I've installed the Windows
Installer from Octave-Forge, and have Octave up and running.  However, I'm a
bit disappointed that the programme's user-interface is limited to the
Windows command line interface.

This is caused by the fact that the intersection of the set of people
who need specialized GUIs with the set of people who are willing to
actually contribute to the project tends to be very small. My habits
even evolved to the point where I tend to be disappointed by programs
that don't offer a scriptable command-line interface :)

True, true.

Actually I'm grown up in a GUI environment. It wasn't until the late nineties that I realized that GUIs wasn't the best way to communicate commands to a computer. Now a days I have to struggle to keep my complaints to myself when having to use some GUI-only interface. It's almost ridiculous what a difference in expressibility it is.

And let's make one thing really clear here: Writing GUI software is really, really hard. So the reason why Octave doesn't come with a GUI is simple. There's a lot of talented developers working on Octave, but they don't think a GUI is a priority. There's some on-and-off users that would like to see a GUI, but they either don't have the time or don't have the right experience to do it.

Octave doesn't need a GUI. Programming languages don't need buttons and menus. I think that the win32 console leaves much to be desired though, so maybe that is something worth attacking on that side. If only I could be forced to run Windos, that is.

David