Re: Sharing scripts

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Sharing scripts
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 08:55:21 -0400

On 15-Mar-2010, Francesco Potort  wrote:

| As far as I can tell, the only way now (and simple enough) is to
| redefine all system-related operations in the .octaverc script,
| something like this (I had suggested it earlier, but maybe I was too
| cryptic):
|
| function unix ()
|  error ("restricted", "unix cannot be used on this system")
| endfunction

And if you do this for every "unsafe" function in Octave, you will
break a lot of things.  For example, the help system and plotting with
gnuplot.

I think some other approach is needed.  I would recommend leaving
Octave alone and working on a restricted server environment (chroot
jail or similar) that would prevent a malicious user from doing any
damage to anything but his own sandbox.

jwe