Re: Flexible Image Transport System (FITS) file format support

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Flexible Image Transport System (FITS) file format support
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 08:22:44 -0700

søn, 28 03 2010 kl. 14:27 +0000, skrev Guido Walter Pettinari:
> Hi Søren,
>
> I think you are right again. I compiled MFITSIO with Matlab R2008B and
> the latest version of CFITSIO 3, and I obtain exactly the same error
> message:
>
> >> data = fits_read_image ('cl_out.fits')
> 12 An error occurred: 320
> ??? Error using ==> fits_read_image
> Could not close file.
> Error in ==> fits_read at 21
> IMAGE = fits_read_image(filename);

Good to know. Thanks for checking.

> At a later stage, when I will have more familiarity with FITS file, I
> may be interested in developing an Octave Forge package to support
> them. It would be a wrapper to CFITSIO v3. Is it possible to write it
> using MEX API instead of Octave's? With MEX's it could be an easier
> task since I could re-use some code from MFITSIO.

Yes you can use the MEX API, but I do not recommend it. The MEX API is
clumsy (at best) and is not very nice to use (from a programmers point
of view). The native Octave C++ API is much nicer and is a lot more easy
to work with. So, I'd recommend going with that.

Søren