Re: how to improve sequence plotting speed (to get more fluent animation

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: how to improve sequence plotting speed (to get more fluent animation)?
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 20:12:21 +0200

Am Samstag, 3. April 2010 19:56:01 schrieb Thorsten Meyer:
> On my debian machine, octave compiled from the development sources
>  (together with gnuplot 4.4) is faster than 3.2.4 but still by roughly a
>  factor of 7 slower than your simple perl script.
>
> This is a faster octave version of the animation, but still not as fast as
>  perl: t = [0:100]/5;
> s = sin(t) .* exp(-t/5);
> a = [0, 20, -1, 1];
> k = 0;
> h=plot(t, sin(k) * s);
> axis(a);
> drawnow();
> while k >= 0,
>   k = k + 0.1;
>   set(h, "ydata", sin(k) * s);
>   drawnow();
> end
>
> regards
>
> Thorsten

I can confirm the same effect on opensuse 11.2 64 bit. Both octave scripts run
faster with the development build than with 3.2.4 (which I also built myself)
but significiantly slower than the perl script.

With backend("fltk") 3.24 fails completely (the result is simply no animation)
but with the development build it is a fast and smooth animation.

- mh