Re: Printing problem with 3.2.4

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Printing problem with 3.2.4
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 18:21:30 -0400

On May 21, 2010, at 3:24 PM, Alvin W wrote:

> On 05/21/10 08:58, Ben Abbott wrote:
>> On Friday, May 21, 2010, at 05:48AM, "murlox" <address@hidden>
>>  wrote:
>>

>>> After I upgraded to 3.2.4, the command that allows me to print directly to
>>> printer no longer works. I could still print the plot to file, but it is
>>> inconvenient & I couldn't save the file in the format that I wanted.
>>>
>>> When I reverted back to 3.0.3, the said command worked again. I suspected
>>> that the changes that have been made in
>>> /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/plot/print.m might be the culprit. However, I
>>> couldn't interpret any new addition or removal in that particular file since
>>> it is too advanced for me; therefore, I hope any octave expert here could
>>> enlighten me.
>>>
>>> I also posted the mentioned problem to bug reports.
>>>
>>> BTW, I'm running Linux. I don't suspect anything with my operating system
>>> since the older version of Octave works fine in term of print job.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Al
>>>

>> Please check to see if the job shows up in your print que. Type ....
>>
>>      clf
>>      surf (peaks)
>>      print
>>      system ("lpq")
>>      pause (10)
>>      system ("lpq")
>>
>> Does the job show the first time the que is displayed?
>>
>> Does the job remain in listed in the que when the que is displayed the
>> second time?
>>
>> Ben
>
> Thank you for the quick response.
>
> The plot did show up, but then it gave me this following message both times
> when I typed system ("lpq").
>
> HP_LaserJet_1020_USB_1 is ready
> no entries
> ans = 0
>
> Does it mean the print job was never sent to the printer?

I'm not sure.

try the following ...

        clf
        surf (peaks)
        print -dpsc test.ps
        [status, output] = system ("lpr -l test.ps ; lpq")

If the que is empty, then I suggest you verify you can print from the command
line.

I have limited experience with "lpr", but if you have questions please ask. If
I can't help, someone else will be able to.

Ben

p.s. Pls reply at the bottom to make it easier for those arriving late to
follow along. Thanks.