Re: relocating octave and PKG_ADD problems.

From: Ian Stokes-Rees
Subject: Re: relocating octave and PKG_ADD problems.
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 20:12:37 -0500

On 12/21/10 8:07 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 21-Dec-2010, Ian Stokes-Rees wrote:
>
> | I installed octave on one machine and then packaged it up and copied the
> | binaries and libraries to another machine (in fact, to several other
> | machines).  By setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH and OCTAVE_HOME I *almost* have
> | it working, it seems, but I still get problems that I can't resolve.  I
> | don't have root access or any easy ability to compile on the remote
> | machines where I run Octave, so I really need to have a "drop-in"
> | pre-compiled self-supporting tar ball.
>
> I think the easiest way to do that would be to configure with --prefix
> set to the directory where you plan to install.  Then you should be
> able to use DESTDIR to install everything under a temporary directory,
> tar the resulting directory tree, then unpack on the target machine.

I am sure this would work.

My problem is that I'm trying to install Octave to 40+ different
locations, and for each one there is a different prefix.  If I have to
(but I'd *really* rather not), then I can probably tar the install
directory after compiling and re-run ./configure and "make install ...".

My challenge is that I don't have ssh access to the machines where
Octave is being installed (distributed batch/cluster system), I don't
know if there are build tools available on the worker nodes in the
various clusters, and I don't know how long it takes to build Octave --
possibly longer than my maximum queue time on each node.

So my question is "why can't I just copy the files?"  Why does the
original installation path need to get hard coded into the files?

Ian