Re: cannot plot with octave 3.4.0 and windows 7

From: George Barrick
Subject: Re: cannot plot with octave 3.4.0 and windows 7
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 10:06:41 -0400

Re: cannot plot with octave 3.4.0 and windows 7

                           2011.06.06.14:03:53 UT

Hello Eirik and Marco,

      I have encountered that same difficulty that
Eirik is describing with the cygwin-1.7.9-1.  I was
getting a failure of octave to generate plots.  I
cannot be more specific at the moment as I am
unwilling to again install the 1.7.9-1 and track
through the errors that octave generates when I
attempt a plot.

      Anyway, I _do_ have something positive to
report.  Unlike Eirik, I am using cygwin under
WinXP-SP3, though I can say that the latest
cygwin1-20110606.dll does solve the problem.
I simply followed Marco's instructions surrounding
the renaming and copying of the cygwin1.dll, and
it works.  The octave-3.4.0 spins up plots in the
usual way when using cygwin1-20110606.dll as the
cygwin1.dll.  I did not have to re-install anything,
or perform the rebaseall from the ash-shell.

      I am guessing that cygwin1-20110606.dll or
its descendants should overcome this little problem
when released into the wild (at least for WinXP-SP3).

George                 g_barrick_at_walsh_dot_edu