Re: CUDA/OpenCL version of Octave for GPGPU?

From: Qianqian Fang
Subject: Re: CUDA/OpenCL version of Octave for GPGPU?
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:47:41 -0400

On 06/16/2011 10:23 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 17-Mar-2011, Tim Rueth wrote:

| Have there been any thoughts about a CUDA/OpenCL version of Octave (on
Windows)
| that can run on a GPGPU?

Is there a complete free software implementation of CUDA libraries
that is distributed under terms that are compatible with the GPL?

GNU ocelot is a good place to start if someone want
to write in CUDA. It is free and is targetted at
heterogeneous platforms including both CPUs and
GPUs, so it is highly portable.

Details on ocelot project can be found at

http://code.google.com/p/gpuocelot/

Based on my own GPU-based simulations, ocelot
is currently half of the speed on multi-core CPUs
compared to my OpenCL implementation. The speeds
are comparable on NVIDIA GPUs. The Ocelot team
is quite active and I am sure the performance
will be improved further as time goes.

Qianqian

jwe