RE: phase binning light curves

From: Neil.Francis
Subject: RE: phase binning light curves
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 10:03:26 +0800

It sounds like what you want to do is cross correlation, which can give you an estimate of the phase difference between one curve, and another that is similar.  This could be used to align your light curves with each other so that you can average “like” brightnesses.  What it does is it takes your two curves and slides one over the other, bit by bit, finding a correlation coefficient each time.  This is maximised when the one curve has been slid the correct phase difference over the other.  So to find this you need to apply cross correlation, then look for the index of the maximum in the output of the function – that will tell you the phase difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-correlation

It is in Octave as the xcorr function.

It is often categorised as a signal processing function more than a statistical function.

Neil