Re: ATLAS: Letters of support for Clint Whaley

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: ATLAS: Letters of support for Clint Whaley
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 12:57:30 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 7/7/11, José Luis García Pallero <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: José Luis García Pallero <address@hidden>
> Subject: ATLAS: Letters of support for Clint Whaley
> To: "Octave users list" <address@hidden>
> Date: Thursday, July 7, 2011, 9:34 AM
> Clint Whaley the author of the free
> ATLAS BLAS is looking for letters
> of support for his tenure committee from people who use
> ATLAS in their
> work.  You can see his original email here:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=27388478
>
> --
> José Luis García Pallero
> address@hidden
> (o<
> / / \
> V_/_
> Use Debian GNU/Linux and enjoy!

Clint Whaley has clarified how the letter is to be written and allowed me
to publish this info. I am copy-pasting from an Email of his:

"
I just need a pdf.  If you have an e-sig, that is great, otherwise a scanned
signed letter, and otherwise a pdf.  It can be addressed
"To whom it may concern".  You can use my address for the address:
   http://www.cs.utsa.edu/~whaley/
You just e-mail it to me, and I upload it to my tenure file.
";

"
Please discuss your own research, and how ATLAS has helped you in it,
as well as all the activities you outlined.

I include below a list of points that I have heard the committee is
interested in getting support for.  This is list is not exhaustive, but
it might give you an idea for the kinds of things they are looking for.
Another reviewer asked for something to help get started, and I thought
it might help others as well.  I can also send you an example letter that
some guys at Google said I could share, if that would help.

Thanks!
Clint
",

"
POINTS IN LETTERS:
01. My research is XXX, and ATLAS helps me in THESE WAYS.
02. ATLAS has helped others that I've known in THESE WAYS.
03. I'm aware of ATLAS being used for THESE APPLICATIONS.
04. ATLAS is important/critical infrastructure in THESE AREAS.
05. ATLAS allows for research on any platform, regardless of vendor BLAS
    availability
06. ATLAS was one of the pioneering empirical tuning packages and continues
    to influence the field today
07. ATLAS helps improve other BLAS by pushing up minimum level of acceptable
    performance.
08. Empirical tuning and ATLAS have influenced my own research approach.
09. ATLAS is extremely widely used, and supporting it contributes to
    many areas of research/industry.
10. ATLAS is much more reliable than almost all academic packages, and
    its continued support is a major service to many areas of research/industry.
11. Having such a widely used project supported at UTSA will help raise
    UTSA's profile as a research institution.
12. I have read Clint's research in THIS AREA, and it was helpful IN THIS WAY.
13. I have commercial product XX, which used by YY in areas ZZ, and ATLAS
    is helpful in THESE WAYS.
".

Thanks,
  Sergei.