Re: Trying to initiate work on Octave

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Trying to initiate work on Octave
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:23:27 -0500

On 16 August 2011 14:07, don scott <address@hidden> wrote:

> So I load Octave and get this cursor prompt:
>
> Octave 3.2.4exe:1>
>
> EXAMPLE from GNU operating system HELP file:
>
> — Built-in Function: addpath (dir1, ...)
> — Built-in Function: addpath (dir1, ..., option)
>
> so I tried it:
>
> addpath (EEGLAB\eeglab10.2.2.0b\eeglab.m)
> syntax error             ^
>
> what does this mean???

A syntax error in a programming language means you typed something the
parser for that language doesn't understand.

In this case, you forgot to put that string inside quotes. Instead the
parser is trying to interpret the path as Octave commands instead of a
string to feed to addpath.

> addpath (C:\EEGLAB)
> parse error:
>        syntax error
>               ^
>
> addpath (C:EEGLAB)
> error: 'c' undefined near line 3 column 10
> error: invalid base value in colon expression
> error: evaluating argument list element number 1

Try quoting the argument to addpath.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.