Re: Backspace shows [D in WinXP

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Backspace shows [D in WinXP
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 20:59:46 +0100

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 8:34 PM, betocool <address@hidden> wrote:
> It's very annoying really... At home I'm using Octave on Ubuntu 10.04. At
> work I have to use WinXP, and run some small tests from time to time. Now I
> just installed Octave on a WinXP Virtual Machine at home (the image of
> another PC) and it works perfect. I'll try the installation on the other
> machine.
>
> Still, I'm guessing it has to do with the character encoding... sadly, I'm
> not able to post an image of the problem since it works ok now.
>
> I'll also try on the Win7 partition at home, which I haven't used in ages,
> and see how it reacts.
>
> If someone comes up with any ideas or any startup file or config, I'm all
> ears!

What you see is "ESC [ D", which is the terminal control sequences for
moving the cursor backwards. This assumes that octave is running in
a VT100-capable terminal, which is obviously not the case under Windows.

Is it possible the you have some TERM environment variable defined?
For instance, at octave prompt: getenv("TERM")

Michael.