Re: Help with Excel IO - Ecel/COM not working, no Java support found

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: Re: Help with Excel IO - Ecel/COM not working, no Java support found
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 08:29:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jacues

(I am the octave-forge io package maintainer)

Jacques Malaprade wrote:

> <snip>
> I have added the following .jar files to a folder under my home folder
> called octave-
>
> jOpenDocument-1.2.jar, odfdom.jar, odfdom-java-0.8.6.jar, xercesImpl.jar.
> I then added the following to lines to a document called .octaverc under
> my home folder -
>
>   javaaddpath /home/malapradej/octave/jOpenDocument-1.2.jar
>   javaaddpath /home/malapradej/octave/odfdom-java-0.8.6.jar
>   javaaddpath /home/malapradej/octave/xercesImpl.jar
>   javaaddpath /home/malapradej/octave/odfdom.jar
>
> This should have added the class paths to octave on every startup.

Did you check with
   javaclasspath
?

> When I enter the following example of a file to read:
>
>  m = odsread('quizgrade.ods')
>
> I get the following error:
>
>  error: structure has no member `POI'
> error: called from:
> error:   /home/malapradej/octave/io-1.0.14/odsopen.m at line 328, column 3
> error:   /home/malapradej/octave/io-1.0.14/odsopen.m at line 148, column
> 19
> error:   /home/malapradej/octave/io-1.0.14/odsread.m at line 126, column 6
>
> I can sense I am very close and have been at it for a few days so please
> someone help me over that last hurdle.

I'm sorry I can't help you very much (I'm officially on vacation and my
little daughter wants me at the swimming pool NOW).
But... I've seen this same error popping up a while ago in a long email
exchange with someone else.
At the time I couldn't track it down; "POI" is related to Excel .xls files
rather than OpenOffice.org .ods files - a bit enigmatic really.

You can try to install earlier versions of the io package (1.0.11 was
included with Octave-MinGW 3.2.4 and seems to work OK. I've heard there were
300,000+ downloads of 3.2.4-MinGW and I received almost no complaints).

When I'm back I'll hunt this one down. A new version of the io package
(1.0.15) is pending anyway.

Philip