set array values from 3 vectors

From: carbonmetrics
Subject: set array values from 3 vectors
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 03:25:47 -0700 (PDT)

I have a canvas=zeros(1000,365), in which 1000=number of projects and
365=days of the year,
a startdate and an enddate vector, and a value vector.

what i would like to do is to place the values [value vector] in the canvas
array,
where the indices are > startdate and < enddate.

if the canvas would be a vector, and the value a scalar then
'canvas(startdate:enddate)=value' would do the job.

I can't get it done doing a loop, but of course I would much rather
vectorize the code.

It looks like a frequent question, but I could not find anything on this,
does anybody have an idea?

Thanks!
Henk