Trouble with reading mat-file

From: tbruns
Subject: Trouble with reading mat-file
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 07:21:41 -0700 (PDT)

For a big joint research project we want to transfer data between LabVIEW and GNU-Octave.
In this case data means structures, as we intend to have complex sets of measuring data and meta information in a single file.

On the octave side a structure seems to be the way, on LabVIEW it could be represented as a cluster.
There is even a library available to write labview clusters (and other types) to a mat file "http://lavag.org/topic/10976-a-mat-file-io-library/page__st__40".

When I use write a mat-file with this library (c.f. attached file "test.labview.mat" ) the file can be loaded by MatLab, but not by octave:
-----------
octave:4> load "test.labview.mat"
error: load: invalid array name subelement
error: load: trouble reading binary file `test.labview.mat'
-----------

However, when I save the structure again with MatLab (c.f "test.labview.matlab.mat") I __can__ read the resulting file in octave.
------------
octave:1> load "test.labview.matlab.mat"
octave:2> who
Variables in the current scope:

Cluster  ans

octave:3> Cluster
Cluster =
{
  Numeric =  6451
  Boolean =  1
  Array =

Hello
World

  Cluster =
  {
    Array =

       1   4
       2   5
       3   6

  }

}
I don't use any special flags when I save from MatLab it's simple load+save.
Is there I way I can investigate the two files for the crucial differences in order to either improve octave or the labview library (both open source).
I'm at a loss on how to get down to the root of this problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thomas

test.labview.mat (436 bytes) Download Attachment
test.labview.matlab.mat (416 bytes) Download Attachment