Re: Can't install octave-forge packages in a 32-bit OS X build, but can

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Can't install octave-forge packages in a 32-bit OS X build, but can in a 64-bit one
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 11:05:17 -0500

On Nov 6, 2011, at 8:49 AM, Alexander Hansen wrote:

> On 11/5/11 5:08 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

>>> No, they aren't, although the version number is the same, the version
>>> shiped with the system has been patched by apple.
>>> c.
>>
>> Now that you mention that, I also remember we encountered that before.
>> Looking through the mail-list, I think the offending patch was the one below.
>>

>> http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/flex/flex-24.1/patches/scanEOF.diff
>>
>> Ben
>
> In any case, I played around with different the available flex options
> (fink's flex, flex-devel [which normally has to be explicitly used
> because it's out of the PATH], or the system's flex) with no change in
> the results.
>
> Alex

I reviewed some old emails.  I expect problems if autogen.sh is run using
Apple's version. When building the docs, I had encountered errors and warning
such as ...

        warning: invalid character `' (ASCII 0) near line 92, column 2

        error: invalid character `' (ASCII 0) near line 164, column 2

In any event, I updated by Fink packages, and am still able to build octave
using my build script. Over the next few days I'll try modifying my script to
reflect the differences in Fink's info file.

Ben