Re: Non-linear axis data in imagesc

From: Daniel Arteaga
Subject: Re: Non-linear axis data in imagesc
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 15:12:07 +0100

On 02/12/11 14:29, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Dec 2, 2011, at 8:20 AM, Daniel Arteaga wrote:

On 02/12/11 14:15, Ben Abbott wrote:
On Dec 2, 2011, at 6:52 AM, Daniel Arteaga wrote:

Hi all,

imagesc fails to display correctly non-linarly spaced axes. Instead it
"invents" linear axis from the maximum value. See what I mean:

x = logspace(0,5,20);
y = logspace(0,2,10);
A = rand(10,20);
imagesc(x,y,A);

Is this a bug? Any workaround to get the correct behaviour?

Tested using GNU Octave Version 3.4.2 under Ubuntu 11.10.

Thank you,

Daniel

If you see (0,0) in the upper-left, then it is working as intended. Matlab
behaves this way as well.

Sorry, I was not meaning that. What I was meaning is that the axis labels do
not correspond to the x vector defined above. The real axis should be
logarithmic, but imagesc invents a linear axis.

Thank you,

Daniel

Ok. That *feature* is also inherited from Matlab.

I've attached the result from Matlab (R2011b). Does it look the same as what
Octave produces for you?

Yes, the result is essentially the same.

Anyway, be in Matlab or Octave, the result is incorrect as I understand, since it is assigning values to the axis that do not match with the plotted data.

In other words, for a given x and y value (according to the displayed axis), the color plotted is not the correct one.

In my opinion, at least a warning should be displayed in this situation.

Thank you very much,

Daniel