Re: octave-3.4.3+gcc46 on OS X 10.4/powerpc, test hangs in bsxfun

From: Alexander Hansen
Subject: Re: octave-3.4.3+gcc46 on OS X 10.4/powerpc, test hangs in bsxfun
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:30:46 -0500

On 12/15/11 12:10 PM, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 30 November 2011 14:44, David Fang <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>> Hello octavians,
>>
>> Recently, I've been trying to port octave-3.4.3 for OS X
>> 10.4/powerpc in fink, and have encountered hanging in the test
>> suite. I initially tried the system compiler (g++-4.0.1) but
>> encountered the following issue:
>> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?30685
>
> That compiler is kind of ancient. The bsxfun code does a lot of
> optimisation tricks, and I wouldn't be entirely surprised if some
> old bug in gcc is producing this.
>
> Sadly, you can't easily update gcc because Apple won't help you,
> since they are trying to forbid the dissemination of GPLv3, which
> is the free license that newer gccs use. I believe you can install
> a newer gcc through the more free channels, like homebrew and
> fink.
>
> Please let me know if you have success installing a more recent gcc
> and if the problem persists with it.
>
> Thanks, - Jordi G. H.

That part is in the text that follows what you quoted above, and was
kind of the point (cf. gcc46 in the subject of the message).

The failures in testing bsxfun.cc that David reported in his initial
message, and that I reported elsewhere in this thread, are for builds
using gcc-4.6.2 from Fink.

It's worth pointing out that on my OS X 10.5 builds (all
architectures) Apple's gcc-4.2 compiler does _not_ produce this issue.