Re: set(gca, 'XLabel', 'foo') not matlab compatible

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: set(gca, 'XLabel', 'foo') not matlab compatible
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 13:37:53 -0500

On 30 January 2012 13:34, Muhali <address@hidden> wrote:
>> This also seems to work in 3.6.0, so it doesn't look like a bug to me.
>
> I know that command works. The question was whether
>
> set(gca, 'XLabel', 'foo')
>
> should *not* work.

We generally don't view "Matlab compatibility" as "if it breaks in
Matlab, it should also break in Octave". Matlab does a lot of stupid
things we don't have to copy (but we do have to copy some).

I've thought about implementing "strict Matlab mode", but it's tricky,
see this discussion:

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/A-more-comprehensive-braindead-mode-td4264268.html

- Jordi G. H.