Stanford University: Probabilistic Graphical Models

From: pathematica
Subject: Stanford University: Probabilistic Graphical Models
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 16:05:36 -0700 (PDT)

Further to the recent free course on machine learning (presented by Prof
Andrew Ng), as you may know, Stanford are offering another free course
entitled "Probabilistic Graphical Models (presented by Prof Daphne Koller).

As with the previous course, it will be possible to submit assignments in
Octave, which offers an opportunity for exposure amongst a wide userbase.

I took the previous course, and I note that Jordi did too. His comments in
the forum were very helpful. My expertise in the use of Octave improved
enormously.

For those interested, it is possible to register for the course here:

http://www.pgm-class.org/

I plan to take the course and I hope to see Jordi there again!

The instructions for the course specify Octave >= 3.4.0
As you will know, Ubuntu ships 3.2.3

As the course is not mission critical to my career progress, I was planning
to use the 3.2.3 shipped with Ubuntu to see if it leads to any problems.
Should any arise, I will boot to Windows (shudder) and use the more recent
version of Octave from there for the duration of the course.

I was just wondering whether any progress had been made with Debian packages
for 3.4
I realise this is undertaken by volunteers and I understand (in principle,
not in detail) that there are organisational difficulties for creating
Debian packages for Ubuntu, partly (I think; of course I might have
misunderstood) through lack of support by them.

Given the opportunity for publicity for Octave amongst a wide audience
presented by this course (with the risk of negative publicity if the use of
3.2.3 causes problems), and given that Ubuntu and its various derivatives
are currently the most popular Linux distributions (at least according to
DistroWatch) I thought that I might mention it here.

I must emphasise that I do not expect any particular difficulty for myself
and I am already a rock solid convert to Octave. :-)

Thanks for all the hard work.

-----
However good you think Octave is, it's much, much better.