graphical drap & drop editor in Octave

From: julienjavaloyes
Subject: graphical drap & drop editor in Octave
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 17:56:11 +0000 (GMT)

dear all,

I would need to make a small drag and drop graphical editor function in C (or C++) to be used as a function within Octave.

The function must do the following.

--- Open a main window with a simple toolbar containing a few elements.
--- The element "Square" with two connectors (input/output)
--- The element "triangle" with three connectors (2 inputs/1 output)
--- Drag & drop and connect the elements (only a simple symmetrical bidirectional connection)
--- The elements should be clickable to define some parameters (a few floats)
--- Upon closing, the function will return on the Octave console the elements properties and the connectivity of the diagram in two matrices.

This function will be part of a GPL toolbox for Octave/Matlab and must run on Linux OSX and Windows.
The function has to be a mex file, not a oct, but it is a detail.

So far, my best bet is to use GTK and/or diacanvas. Is is a good idea ? I already converted some simple C examples of gtk into such Octave functions.
It seems to work in principle: it opens a window with a few clickable elements, I click and the function return the numbers.

I know that Matlab provides for simulink, a diagram editor. But there are no equivalent with Octave and I want to maintain compatibility.
I also know that what I want to do can be done with Gnome Dia, directly, but I would prefer to get what I need without the user to install an extra program.
I don 't know if diacanvas is still supported. In addition, it seems that Dia depends on Dia-lib. Maybe their library can be reused ?

Any suggestion regarding the best way to achieve this would be greatly appreciated.

My best Regards,

Julien.