Re: Terms of use Mathworks file exchange

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: Terms of use Mathworks file exchange
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 21:51:49 +0200

>The GPL isn't available there because MathWorks doesn't want it there, not
>because the GPL would be incompatible with the new ToS.

Not true.  The GPL is incompatible with any additional restriction.

>                                                        Especially since
>the ToS explicitly states that the original license of the files is
>preserved.

BSD can be preserved even if you add additional restrictions.  Not GPL.

>           Distributing source isn't even remotely similar to distributing
>binaries. The GPL's teeth relate pretty specifically to the ability to
>distribute precompiled binaries. If I'm already distributing source,
>there's nothing else for me to do--everyone I gave source to has the source.

No true, again.  If I give you the source with a BSD licence, you can do
mostly what you want with it, except deleting the original licence.  For
example, you can distribute it while adding additional restrictions.
This is not true of GPL.

>Also, you continue to misunderstand the BSD license. Unless MathWorks has
>some control of the copyright (via authorship, assignment or creation of a
>derivative work), it's only wiggle room is to distribute binaries without
>providing source. That doesn't apply in any sense of imagination to
>distributing third-party source code verbatim.

There is not only copyright, as it has already been said.  There are
terms of use of the site, which is what is involved here.  You can add
terms of use that restrict usage of BSD cose.  You can't with GPL code.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice:  +39.050.315.3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Mobile: +39.348.8283.107