Re: Is Installing OpenGL Worth the Trouble?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Is Installing OpenGL Worth the Trouble?
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:11:17 -0400

On 18 September 2012 09:04, Feuerbacher, Alan
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I've been trying to install octave-3.6.3 with opengl enabled, but
> for one reason or another can't get past various issues related to
> my ancient workstation software. Before asking for help, I'd like to
> know if installing opengl graphics, as opposed to using the gnuplot
> stuff, is worth the effort?

If you haven't had trouble with gnuplot then don't use OpenGL. If
gnuplot plotting has done something you don't like, try the OpenGL
backend. There are of course problems with gnuplot that OpenGL fixes,
and we have outstanding issues with OpenGL not present in gnuplot, but
if you haven't encountered these issues personally, who cares?

Ultimately, only you can know if it's worth it.

- Jordi G. H.