Re: Octave classes

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Octave classes
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 10:29:46 +0200

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Massimo Manghi <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 10/02/2012 02:28 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>>
>> On 2 October 2012 08:20, Juan Pablo Carbajal<address@hidden>  wrote:
>>
>>> afaik, there is no inheritance in Octave classes.
>>

>> Of course there is. Otherwise, what's the point of having classes at all?
>>

>> http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Inheritance-and-Aggregation.html
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Overloading-Objects.html
>>

> Thanks Jordi and Juan
>
> so the bottom line is that for the time being I have to prepare myself my
> own base class. Good to know.
>
> Scripting an object systems almost certainly requires some degree of
> introspection (the larger the better).
>
> So I go back to the original question. I noticed a discrepancy between the
> functions 'fieldnames' and 'isfield': 'fieldnames(...)' returns an array of
> fields of a structure or a class, 'isfield(struct,field_name)' doesn't know
> how to handle a class object and returns invariably 0, even though it could
> be based on the former simply comparing each field in the list returned by
> 'fieldnames' to the given field_name. This looks to me like a bug or a
> missing feature...
>

>> Octave currently only implements old-style Matlab classes. There's
>> some preliminary work for classdef, but it will probably take some
>> time to come to fruition, unless you help.
>>
>> - Jordi G. H.
>
> I have a decent experience programming C++ and I wrote a couple of C++
> command extensions to Octave, but I never tweaked the core. So the answer is
> yes, I could consider to help if you get me on the right track (subscribing
> octave-dev? Contacting the person who is carrying on the development of the
> object system?)
>
>  -- Massimo

Regarding the right track.

There the IRC channel, where you can find jwe
irc.freenode.net
chat room #octave

The correct mailing list and other resources are marked here.
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/get-involved.html

If you find help missing and you think it may make the entry to other
developers easy, please update the wiki
wiki.octave.org

Looking forward!

--