Re: When will the new GUI be ready?

From: Israel Herraiz
Subject: Re: When will the new GUI be ready?
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 22:20:24 +0100

Excerpts from Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso's message of Sun Oct 28 22:01:22 +0100
2012:
> Why some day? Why not today?

Because time is finite and I have more things to do than available
time :).

> Where are your patches? Do you have an hg
> clone somewhere I can pull from or do I have to get your patches from
> the Debian source package?

I have a SVN repository. Here are the instructions:
https://forja.rediris.es/scm/?group_id=1143

The repository is at https://forja.rediris.es/svn/octaveupm/trunk/

Of course everything is under the GPL v3, just like Octave.

Having said that, I wish that I could easily just send patches to
Octave, but it is not that easy, there are substantial differences
between the two codebases.

Up to last June, I was integrating everything done in Octave
with my code, sending patches to Jacob and even to the bug
tracker. I created the Windows installer merging everything, own code
and Jacob's official GUI code. Actually, there is at least one commit
authored by me in the Hg repository, and also some of my patches were
integrated in the QTerminal component :).

Since June, the (upstream) GUI development was so fast that I could
not cope, and my code now differs substantially from Octave's code. I
stopped merging Octave's changes with my codes, and just working on my
own on the things I needed for my classes.

I worked mostly on details (like synchronizing Octave's pwd with the
directory used in the load/save dialogs, etc), remembering previously
open files, settings for the fonts in all the dock windows,
translation of all the GUI into Spanish, etc. There are some things
that are more than details, like the GUI for the debugger. I maintain
a list in Spanish of the differences between my code and Octave (and
between the different releases of my tool):
http://mat.caminos.upm.es/octave/faq.html#sec-3-3

Cheers,
Israel