Re: Octave's and Matlab's limitations

From: Dimitri Maziuk
Subject: Re: Octave's and Matlab's limitations
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 15:04:46 -0600

On 11/21/2012 12:48 PM, c. wrote:
... use matlab for matrices ...

It's all fine but how often and how well do you document matrices in
your matlab scripts? You can't use "other tools" to convert data to
load()'able format if nobody knows what that format is supposed to be.

> P.S. On a side note, as you seem to like Python but have to deal with other
> people's
> code written in Octave, have you ever considered using Pytave
> <https://launchpad.net/pytave> ?

I don't particularly like python, but it's more readable than perl, more
powerful than shell, and comes without Oracle lawyers who might show up
tomorrow and demand you pay up for the privilege. It's kinda what basic
used to be: not that great but easy, available, and better than the
alternatives.

Unfortunately, I don't have to deal with code written in octave: if that
were the case, I'd just run it. I have to deal with the "clever and
useful" code written in matlab 7.3.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin