Re: low level I/O (GPIB, USBTMC, VXI11)

From: Julien Salort
Subject: Re: low level I/O (GPIB, USBTMC, VXI11)
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 17:16:01 +0100

"Stefan Mahr" <address@hidden> writes:

> Some years ago I already posted my toolbox for serial, tcp, gpib (and
> visa) to this list. Meanwhile I have added VXI11 and USBTMC. National
> Instruments GPIBENET-100 support is started, but even more incomplete
> than the rest of the toolbox. However, basic I/O is working and I'm
> able to talk with all of my instruments.

Hello,

This is very interesting !

Some colleagues and I have also been using Octave for VISA, DAQmx,
DC1394 and Modbus instrument control for a while.
(we have several experiments that use it every day)

We decided recently to put the code on Github too. Mostly because I am
now convinced that there is no legal issue (I was afraid of people
complaining if it somehow breaks their instruments), and because we are
three people committing changes, so a VCS was needed.

http://github.com/jsalort/OctMI

That makes 3 packages for the same purpose. However, I don't know about
yours, but mine uses National Instruments libraries for VISA and DAQmx,
and free libraries for FireWire cameras and Modbus.

I guess the NI part is not compatible with octave-forge policy of not
encouraging using proprietary software.

Julien