sound() in Octave

From: nickecarlo
Subject: sound() in Octave
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:27:14 -0800 (PST)

Hey,

I apologize if this has been covered before but I am required to study
Octave at my university. The way they're going through the exercises, they
already assume that sound() works with Octave out of the box. However that
does not seem to be the case. I am doing a distance learning course so I
can't get direct help from the university on this.

Could anyone tell me how I could play audio of, say, a sampled sine wave. My
university teaches sound(x, 8000) for example where x contains the
calculations for the sine wave and 8000 is the sampling rate.

I have sox installed but I have no idea how sox and Octave work together,
nor do I know if there is any other function I can use instead of sound().

I'd really appreciate any kind of help that you can give me on this.

Regards,

Nick