Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] mkoctfile not installed in Wheezy

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] mkoctfile not installed in Wheezy
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 15:03:08 +0100

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
>> <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> For Debian it is. Debian users should use "aptitude install
>>> octave-foo", not "pkg install foo". The Debian packagers work very
>>> hard to make sure the versions of the OF packages that they package
>>> work with the corresponding Octave version.
>>>
>>> - Jordi G. H.
>>
>> Answering the question would be useful, cause ther eis a lot of effort
>> put in making pkg.m more user friendly.
>>
>> Is "pkg install" a dev thing?
>>
>> If it is then Carnë's and others work has to be revised under this
>> new, not mentioned before, detail.
>
> For example, how do you install a package that is not in Octave-Forge
> nor packaged by the debian group?
>
> I think "pkg install" is not a dev thing. Not even in Debian

Even more, mkoctfile.m is installed. This breaks Octave fuctionality

octave:1> mkoctfile
sh: 1: /usr/bin/mkoctfile: not found
warning: unable to find mkoctfile in expected location: `/usr/bin/mkoctfile'
warning: mkoctfile exited with failure status

I think the simplest solution is to install mkoctfile with octave,
otherwise you would need to do conditional install of that function as
well or at least change it so that the checks tells you what to do to
fix it. Following the "in Debian it is", then you will also have to
check for OS... if you ask me unnecessary complications.

Moreover, all the docs in the wiki would have t be changed to say "if
you are running Debina you should install this other thing before this
tutorial works, etc , etc". Why? What's the point? Is it making the
user experience more complicated?

Any other has an opinion on this?