Re: gnu plot error on octave

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: gnu plot error on octave
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 10:02:47 -0500

On Jan 6, 2013, at 12:35 PM, fr33c0untry wrote:

> hi,
> i have octave installed on ubuntu 12.04.i installed octave a month ago from
> the software center a month ago.it has been working fine until today when i
> tried to plot a function and an error showed up.i tried loading some .m
> files which involved plotting but failed because of the same error.the error
> i get is:
>
> i dont know what to fix as it seems that there is some error with the source
> code(correct me if im wrong).i tried to uninstall gnuplot from software
> center and then reinstall it but that didn't work either.
> looking forward to a reply
> thanks

The error message didn't show up in the email.  It is on nabble.

error: invalid use of script in index expression
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/strings/strsplit.m at line 49, column 13
error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/miscellaneous/compare_versions.m at line
112, column 7
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/plot/__gnuplot_has_feature__.m at line 43,
column 23
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/plot/gnuplot_drawnow.m at line 229, column 11
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.4/m/plot/gnuplot_drawnow.m at line 97, column 16

Your version of Octave is rather old.  It is likely this has already been
fixed.  If you can provide a simple script that we can use to reproduce the
error we can check.

Ben