plotting in windows

From: goosst
Subject: plotting in windows
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 11:48:15 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I installed the latest version of octave available for windows
(Octave-3.6.2-mingw:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Windows%20binaries/Octave%203.6.2%20for%20Windows%20MinGW%20installer/
).

As I want to do some postprocessing with quite some data I did a small test
to generate figures inside a loop.

for i=1:5
        figure
        plot(rand(10000,1))
        print(['test',num2str(i),'.png'],'-dpng')
end

==> result:
* it takes a very long time and no .png files are generated
* the generated figures are not visible and are 'in a state of crashing' (my
best explanation)

A test with a smaller amount of data (rand(1000,1)) instead of
rand(10000,1))) seems to behave fine.

Any possible solutions, workarounds,  ... ?

thanks in advance
stijn