Re: Octave engine: any update?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Octave engine: any update?
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:59:53 -0400

On 25 March 2013 13:56, Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On 25 March 2013 10:06, MrOba <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > But what`s the point of an octave-forge engine package then?
>>
>> I'm not sure, to be frank. Looking through its source code, it looks
>> like all it does is implement some rather trivial C functions for
>> talking to Octave through a pipe.
>

> speaking without having looked at any of the items being discussed, is it
> possible it was implemented strictly for compatibility?

Sure, but this seems like a very strange kind of "compatibilty", like
for example how people have asked us to implement a license manager in
Octave for compatibility.

We don't need a special "engine" to talk to Octave, because we don't
have Matlab's licensing restrictions. If anything, we should just
implement a few more MEX functions in Octave.

- Jordi G. H.