Re: Optional argument to the catch statement

From: Peter L. Soendergaard
Subject: Re: Optional argument to the catch statement
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 16:03:59 +0200

On 04/05/2013 03:48 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 5 April 2013 09:24, Peter L. Soendergaard <address@hidden> wrote:
Are there any plans for supporting the following syntax (works in Matlab)
Nobody has offered to implement it yet. Are you offering?
No, I don't have the time.

My reason for reporting it is that this is the most common piece of code (that I have received from other people) that works in Matlab, but not in Octave. I manage the AMToolbox project, http://amtoolbox.sourceforge.net/, so I receive a lot of Matlab code from students of highly varying levels of clarity. It almost always works perfectly in Octave, except for this issue.

Secondly, it is actually a nice piece of code, this is the natural way of expression also used in other programming languages. This would be a much more satisfying feature to include than characters following "..." or terminal colours :-)

Thirdly, it is hard for me to work around. I will instruct people to use the lasterr function instead, but it leaves a bad impression of Octave that people must switch to an inferior Matlab function in order to support Octave.

Cheers,
Peter.